Custom Military Dog Tags
The Monterey Company makes coins in a variety of shapes sizes. Your dog tag design can be made one or two-sided and can be made with 2D look or 3D.
Dog Tag Coins
Traditional dog tags or ID tags were made using lightweight metal with the wearer's name, rank and serial number and given to military personnel. They help identify individual military personnel at home and abroad. Dog-tagged shapes stand apart mainly because of their rectangular shape. They're larger than the popular 1.75-inch or 2-inch coins. They're usually 2.25 or 2.5 inches with 3 mm thickness. Military units like the dog-shaped designs because they're different than the standard round shapes and they allow more room for larger insignias and greater amounts of text on them. "Their long shapes allow them to include long quotes of or valuable amount of text. You cannot do that on a round shape. Our coin design options include soft or hard enamel and epoxy coating can be added for a layer of protection.
What information do you put on a military dog tag?
Traditional dog tags issued by the military include vital identification information including
- Service member's name
- Branch of Service
- Serial Number or Social Security Number
- Blood Type
- Religious Preference (or significant cultural affiliation, like "Jedi")
When customizing a Military dog tag with the Monterey Company, you can work with a designer to create an excellent piece that will last a lifetime. By adding custom touches, you showcase the great significance of commemorating service personnel through thoughtful touches unique to a person's history or experience.
How to customize a military dog tag
In addition to personal identifying information, customizing a dog tag to commemorate service or to show support can be achieved in many ways. Consider including these personalized touches to your custom dog tag:
- The years of service dates for the service member
- The location of service by the service member
- Any honors, awards, or recognition received by the service member
- The member's platoon or squadron name, number, or affiliating information.
- Personal or thoughtful insignia are specific to the member or family of the member.
Ordering Is Easy
What Are Some Of The Best Design Options?
- Designing the artwork is the first step in creating a new design. Military insignia can easily be reproduced in enamels or in raised metal. There are a few things to consider when you order a custom military dog tag.
- Our process is designed to work with your needs. We guide you in creating the initial design if needed or we can work with you to customize a pre-existing logo or design idea you may have. Our experienced staff can give you suggestions to enhance or modify your design as a need in order to ensure that your design is perfectly suited for production. Once you approve a final design, it is die-struck into thick bronze or copper, both sides being struck at the same time, then electroplated, sandblasted and polished. Hard enamel color is added before polishing, and soft enamel added after polishing, but all color is applied by hand.
- Production time varies depending on the style of custom military dog tag coins you choose, but it normally takes between 2 to 3 weeks. Rush jobs can usually be accommodated for an additional charge.
Custom Made Military Dog Tag With Your Insignia
It wasn’t until after the American Civil War that soldiers were required to wear dog tags in order to identify them if they fell in battle. This practice started to avoid the tragedy of hundreds of thousands of unmarked graves for the unknown soldier. Recordkeeping was difficult and imprecise in the 19th century, and using military dog tags made identification of soldiers easier.
History of The Military Dog Tag
During World War II, military dog tags began as small round metal tags rather than the shape and size we are familiar with today. Tags included such information as a branch of the military, first initial, surname, birth date, and religion. They could also include rank or service number, blood type, service branch and an indication of tetanus vaccination. A right index fingerprint was etched on the reverse.
We have a full line of military coins that can be made with soft and hard enamel as well as epoxy coating.
Today, dog tags are made for many other uses besides soldiers in battle or service. We make custom logo dog tags for school kids, law enforcement personnel, and dogs, and many are ordered as a way of commemorating participation in groups, activities and even heroic acts. Military personnel and civilians alike love dog tags, as they are a symbol they can all relate to.
The medals we provide are more substantial than the regular aluminum dog tags used by the military, and we use metals that make these special items that signify affiliation, achievement and belonging. A variety of finishes, plating, and colors are available for the custom military dog tags, and they can even be turned into bottle openers to make them a usable coin.